Thursday, May 29, 2014

Can I Deposit A Post-Dated Rent Check (Q&A)


Question: I have a tenant who unexpectedly sent me the next three rent payments with post dated checks. Apparently she will be traveling a lot and didn't want to forget to pay.
I have asked her to clarify her intent, but I was wondering if I'm obligated not to deposit them right away. It would be easier to do that so I can't lose them, but I could see how that might not be legal.
Thanks for any advice.

Answer: Hi Dan, I try not to get into legalities because I'm not an attorney. However, I probably wouldn't try to deposit all of them simply because they probably won't all clear. I would probably just write her an email or a letter asking her what exactly her intentions are. That way you have it in writing.


If you have a different opinion or just something that you'd like to add, please feel free to leave a comment below.
This is not legal advice. Please contact an attorney for professional legal advice.


No comments:

Post a Comment